Annapurna Base Camp Trek in December
Winter is not considered as the best time to trek to Annapurna Base Camp Trek. However, trekking in winter offers a different trekking experience. Trekking during winter is appropriate for those who want to enjoy the adventurous trek in a peaceful trail.
The weather during the daytime is bright and pleasant. However, nights are quite cold, with an average temperature below the freezing point.
Annapurna Base Camp Trek in December offer Less traffic on the trail, clear skies, and nice day-temperature which gives a perfect scenario of the trek. It is a hard time of year so you may see some snow and will find some spots of thick ice on the well-established trails.
If you’re well prepared with proper equipment and information, then then the trek will reward you with empty trails, breathtaking snow-capped mountains views, and stunning snowy landscapes.
In this article, we will discuss the Annapurna Base Camp Trek in December, what’s the weather like, the reason you’re thinking about trekking Annapurna Base Camp in the December of the winter season. Then it is a gorgeous time of year.
In Nepal, there is very less rain in winter and most of the days are sunny.ns to trek in December, tips to trek in December and many more. So, let’s get started.
Annapurna Base Camp Trek Weather & Temperature in December
You will experience stable weather during your ABC trek in December. December is pretty dry in the Annapurna Region. The Annapurna region sees little to no rain during December.
However, whether in the Himalayas is unpredictable. So, you must train yourself correctly to face any kind of situation the weather has to offer.
Winter arrives at the cycle of months step to December. The weather during early December is pre-winter weather. With days, the temperature starts falling drastically. It starts decreasing below 0 degrees in higher altitudes. In general, the temperature drops to -5 degrees in the base camp.
Keep in mind; the winter storms can bring snow even at the lower regions (as low as 2300 m).
Some the December days may be cloudy with lousy weather. The days are often bright and sunny with unobstructed views of the mountains. Dry and clear weather enhances the vistas of the mesmerising snow-covered peaks.
Is trekking the Annapurna Base camp possible during December?
Yes, it is. Annapurna Base Camp Trek is doable at any time of the year. December is a winter month. Trekking in December offers excellent views of the majestic mountains covered with snow. But there is a little risk while trekking in December.
Sometimes, you may experience great weather as if its the peak season. But, if the winter arrives earlier, it may ruin the trek. The region will get very cold with unpleasant weather. But everything depends on your luck.
However, with proper trekking gears and the right mentality, you can complete the trek successfully regardless of the weather.
Why Annapurna Base Camp Trek in December?
- Tranquil atmosphere. You can enjoy the clear skies and pristine atmosphere, which enhances your trekking experience. The hike is lovable and joyous with the serene atmosphere during December.
- A Hot Bath In natural spring: You will be staying in Jhinu Danda while returning to Pokhara. You can enjoy the hot bath in the natural spring in the shivering cold weather of December.
- Peaceful nature and more wildlife: Since the number of trekkers is less in December; the whole trek is all you and your partner. With stable and precise days, nature is at its best. The eye-catching scenes are fantastic.
- Easy accommodation. Finding accommodation won’t be a problem while trekking in December. In addition to that, you can choose any room of your choice. Plus, the service will be more timely.
- Fewer Crowds. December is the off-season for the ABC trek. Thus, there will be less crowd on the trail. And you can trek peacefully in solitude.
- Annapurna Base Camp Trek 14 Days Itinerary
- Annapurna Base Camp Trek FAQs
- How much does Annapurna Base Camp Trek cost?
Difficulties during ABC Trek in December
- Altitude sickness is the most common issue trekkers face while trekking in high altitude regions. The symptoms start to appear from 3000m and above. Along with that, the cold weather can affect your respiration in the high elevation. In Annapurna Base Camp Trek, you will be trekking to the maximum altitude of 4100m.
- Since December falls under the winter season, there may occur threats of storms and snowfalls in the Annapurna region. Due to which the trail may be blocked in the higher altitude.
- In December, the days are concise in compared to other seasons. So, it will get dark pretty soon. Thus, you should plan to reach the destination before it gets dark.
- If you are planning to trek in mid-December, you may face unstable weather, and the region gets very cold. Due to which, the tea houses remain closed. Thus, finding accommodation can be difficult.
- Avalanches and heavy snowfall are possible in December. The dense pile of snow may block the trails.
Learn more on “Annapurna Base Camp Trek Difficulty.”
Packaging list for ABC trek in December
- Down fleece Jackets
- Warm Sleeping Bag
- Trekking boots (with sturdy soles)
- Trekking shirts (warm)
- Trekking trousers (warm and waterproof)
- Trekking Poles
- Solar Torch
- Water bottles
- Water purifiers
- Trekking socks
- First aid medical kit
- Portable Altitude Chamber and Oxygen
- Trek duffel bag
- Trekking Map
Tips for trekking Annapurna Base Camp in December
- Starting your trek earlier is very important if you are trekking in December. During this time of the year, you will encounter short days. Thus, you must start your trek quite early to get to your destination in time. Otherwise, you will have a trek in the dark, which can be very problematic.
- Choose the appropriate trekking route. Since the days are short, choosing the right way is very crucial. Plus, the temperature starts to drop drastically in the evening. So, choose an appropriate route and make sure to reach the teahouse before its dark.
- Make sure you have a comfortable backpack. When you are carrying a comfortable backpack, you ease your trek. An uncomfortable pack may ruin your trek, as it may cause back pain. So, carry convenient trekking bags while trekking.
- Pack warm and comfortable trekking gears. As the region gets quite cold during December, carry warm and comfortable clothing is essential. Then, the cold weather won’t be a problem for you.
- Be aware of the weather change. Weather conditions can be unpredictable during winter. So, make sure that you are updated on local weather forecasts.
- Carry sturdy boots for trekking. Since the region may get snowfalls, standard boots won’t work on snow. Thus, you must carry sturdy hiking boots. It will keep your feet warm.
- Be cautious about the altitude sickness. When you are in a high altitude trek, anyone can have altitude sickness. Thus, you must be aware of the symptoms. Don’t neglect if you find any signs of altitude sickness. Seek for help. The symptoms include a headache, vomiting, nausea, etc. Walk slow and take enough rest during the trek. Descend immediately to the lower altitude region as soon as possible.
- Always stay hydrated. When you are trekking in the cold weather, you might on feel thirsty. However, you must drink enough water. Drink plenty of water to keep your body hydrated.
If you’re thinking about trekking Annapurna Base Camp in December of the winter season, it is a gorgeous time of year to trek. There is very less rain in December and most of the days are sunny that offer crystal clear views fo the majestic mountains. With proper trekking gears and equipment, you can complete the trek successfully.
Furthermore, if you have any more question or queries regarding this trek or any other treks in Nepal, please feel free to contact us.