Annapurna Base Camp Trek Packing List
Annapurna Base Camp Trek is a high-altitude mountain trek. You will be trekking for 5-6 hours each day, carrying your backpack during the trek. Before starting your packing, you must learn about the packing list for the Annapurna Base Camp trek to ease your journey.
Packing a smart backpack for a long mountain trek is challenging. You must be careful while packing and include all the necessary gear and equipment. You must avoid unnecessary items in your backpack as they will only add a burden making it difficult to walk during the trek.
If you pack correctly, you will avoid many difficulties during the trek. With a light backpack, you will walk comfortably, and even a problematic trail can be quickly completed with a light pack.
Here is a list of some essential goods you should include in your backpack. The list is not mandatory. You can personalize it according to your needs.
Lists of Clothing to Pack for ABC Trek
Annapurna Base Camp Trek Packing list highly depends on which season of the year you are trekking in. Thus, it would help if you packed according to the trekking season.
If you are trekking in winter, you will need to pack warm gear, while you will require rain gear in monsoon. Layering is vital while trekking. You should wear your clothes in layers to take the clothes off if the weather is hot and put on more clothes if the weather is cold.
1. Annapurna Base Camp Trek Packing List for Spring and Autumn
Spring (March, April, May) and Autumn (September, October, and November) are the seasons that offers warm weather and favorable temperature condition for trekking.
That is why spring and autumn are the best time for the Annapurna Base Camp trek. You will be trekking under clear weather and warm temperatures during these seasons. Thus, you will sweat a lot. So, wear full-sleeve lightweight cotton clothes to avoid suntan.
If you trek to Annapurna Base Camp during Spring or Autumn, you won’t need extra warm woolen clothes. However, you will need to pack some thermals for the night.
Here we have listed some of the clothing you shouldn’t miss for your Annapurna Base Camp Trek during Spring and Autumn:
- Lightweight hiking shirt
- Full or half Pants/ Trousers
- Hiking underwear
- A pair of good quality trekking shoes
- Wind-cheater Jacket and trousers
- Lightweight down jacket
- A couple of hiking sandals
- Lightweight hiking socks
- Light underwears
- Comfortable Sports Bras (for girls)
- A Sun Hat
2. For Monsoon/ Summer
Monsoon (June, July, August) is the time of rainfall. The atmosphere is more humid in the Annapurna Region. During the evening and night, the weather is usually rainy. If it rains during the daytime, the temperature is relatively mild.
But the heat on a sunny is quite hot, especially in June. However, nights and mornings at the base camp can get cold due to downpours.
Also, the rain makes leeches and wild bugs more active on the trail. Thus, it would help if you packed waterproof gear. Do not forget to carry table salt for parasites and anti-bug lotions.
For the monsoon trek to ABC, pack these clothing:
- Full-Sleeve trekking Shirt
- Windproof/ waterproof trekking trousers (long)
- Windstopper Jacket (waterproof)
- Anti-leech Socks
- Down Jacket for cold nights
- A Rain Jacket
- A Rain Pant
- Waterproof trekking boots
3. Annapurna Base Camp Trek Packing List for Winter
Annapurna Base Camp trek during Winter (December, January, and February) is cold. The weather condition gets even worse during the mid-winter. And you may witness snowstorms and avalanche breakdowns.
The daytime temperature is quite bearable during winter. However, the morning and nighttime are freezing, and the temperature can drop below freezing. Thus, you must wear warm clothes in layers to maintain your body heat.
Here we have listed some of the must-pack clothing for the Annapurna Base Camp trek in winter:
- Warm Shirt and Trousers
- A woolen cap
- A woolen scarf
- Layered clothing
- Lightweight woolen jumper/ sweater
- Down jacket or down vest
- Fleece or wool trousers
- Heavyweight gloves or mittens
- Thermal underwears
Lists of Hygiene and Toiletries for Annapurna Base Camp Trek
Maintaining health and hygiene during the trek is very crucial. Being sick during the trek can ruin your whole experience. Thus, it would help if you keep your health and hygiene.
Since the Annapurna Base Camp trek takes you to the mountainous region, the environmental circumstances are different from where you belong.
Adapting to a new environment is a challenge for every trekker. Thus, you must take care of your health while adjusting. Therefore, you must carry all the essential hygiene and toiletries items for the trek.
Here is the list of some essential toiletries and hygiene items you don’t want to miss for the Annapurna Base Camp Trek:
- Face and Body Moisturizer
- Lip Guard
- Toothpaste and A Toothbrush
- Multipurpose Soap
- Hand sanitizer
- A lightweight Towel
- Toilet Paper
- First aid kit with medicines (for altitude sickness, Diarrhea, sprains, colds)
- Regular medicines
- Nail Clippers
- Sanitary pads (for girls)
Important Travel Documents
Packing essential travel documents is one of the prime tasks before the Annapurna Base Camp Trek.
Here is a list of documents that you must carry with you at all times during the trek:
- Your Passport
- Travel Insurance
- Air Tickets
- Passport Sized Photos
- Map and Guide Book
- Money (Nepali currency) and money bag
- The two Permits for Annapurna Base Camp Trek: ACAP and TIMS card.
Electronic and Gadgets to Pack for ABC Trek
- Mobile Phone and Charger
- Camera, Memory Cards, and Charger or Batteries
- Tripod Stands
- Headlamp and Extra Batteries
- Power Bank
- Plug Adapter
Backpack for the Annapurna Base Camp Trek
As you will be packing all your trekking gear and equipment in a backpack, you will require a bag that can fit everything. You look for a backpack that is of 30L to 50L size.
When you buy it, ensure all your gear mounts and the trekking bag are comfortable to carry and have excellent back support.
Furthermore, if you are trekking in the monsoon, you will require a rain cover for the backpack. So, check that too.
Footwear for the Annapurna Base Camp Trek
- A pair of good quality and comfortable Hiking Boots (water-resistant)
- A couple of casual Sandals
- Trekking Socks (2 – 3 pairs)
Sleeping Gear for the ABC Trek
The rooms are pretty essential during the Annapurna Base Camp Trek. The teahouse will provide a mattress, a pillow, and a blanket. Sometimes, the bed can be relatively small and uncomfortable. Thus, bringing your sleeping bag with a liner is highly recommended for any season to have a comfortable sleep.
Extra Gears to Pack for the ABC Trek
- Trekking Poles
- Alarm Clock
- Ear Plug
- Eye Mask
Some Tips for Annapurna Base Camp Trek Packing List
- Avoid unnecessary items while packing. And hire a porter if your backpack is heavy.
- Carry some energy bars or chocolates in your bag for eating while on the trail. You can also buy them from the teahouse during the trek.
- Bring soft and breathable fabric underwear and bras to prevent chafing.
- Keeping your body hydrated during the trek is essential to avoid altitude sickness. Thus, carry your water bottle for the trek. You can easily refill the bottle at the teahouse. Buying bottled water on the trail is not recommended as it is expensive. Also, do not forget to carry water purifiers.
- The sanitary products for girls are hardly available while on the trek. So, purchase tampons at Pokhara/ Kathmandu if you menstruate. Carry them with you if you need them on the trek.
- Rain Protection gear is essential during monsoon treks to ABC. Wet gear may ruin the trek. So, bring a rain cover for your backpack. You can also purchase plastic sheets to protect your equipment from the rain.
We hope this blog will give you a basic idea of what to pack for the Annapurna Base camp trek. Along with the Annapurna Base Camp Trek Packing List, please check the region’s weather forecast before packing. It will help you decide what to pack for a comfortable trek.
Furthermore, please get in touch with us if you have any more questions or queries regarding this trek or any other trek in Nepal. You may also see “Annapurna Base Camp Trek FAQs.”