Annapurna Base Camp Trek Packing List
Annapurna Base Camp trek is a high altitude mountain trek. During the trek, you will be trekking for 5-6 hours each day carrying your backpack. You must pack wisely so that you have a light rucksack. And you will have a comfortable walk. So, before you start your packing, you must learn about the packing list for Annapurna Base Camp trek to ease your journey.
Packing a wise backpack for a long mountain trek itself is challenging. You must be very careful while packing and must include all the necessary gears and equipment. Along with that, you must avoid unnecessary item in your backpack as it will only add burden making it difficult to walk during the trek.
If you pack correctly, you will avoid many difficulties during the trek. With a light backpack, you will have a comfortable walk, and even the problematic trail can be easily complete with a light pack.
Here is a list of some essential goods that you should include in your backpack list. The list is not mandatory. You can personalise it according to your needs.
Lists of Clothing to Pack for ABC Trek
Annapurna Base Camp Trek Packing list highly depends on which season of the year are you trekking in. Thus, you should pack according to the trekking season. If you are trekking in winter, then you will need to pack warm gears, while in monsoon, you will require rain gear. Layering is a key while trekking. You should wear your clothes in layers so that you can take the clothes off if the weather is hot and put on more clothes if the weather is cold.
For Spring and Autumn
Spring (March, April, May) and Autumn (September, October, November) are the seasons that offers warm weather and favourable temperature condition for trekking. That is why spring and autumn are the best time for Annapurna Base Camp trek. During these seasons, you will be trekking under clear weather and warm temperature. Thus, you will sweat a lot. So, wear full-sleeve light-weight cotton cloths to avoid suntan.
If you are trekking to Annapurna Base Camp during Spring or Autumn, you won’t require any extra warm and woollen clothes. However, you will need to pack some thermals for the night.
Here we have listed some of the clothing you shouldn’t miss for your Annapurna Base Camp Trek during Spring and Autumn:
- Lightweight hiking shirt
- Full or half Pants/ Trousers
- Hiking underwear
- A pair of good quality trekking shoes
- Wind-cheater Jacket and trousers
- Lightweight down jacket
- A pair of hiking sandals
- Lightweight hiking socks
- Light underwears
- Comfortable Sports Bras (for girls)
- A Sun Hat
For Monsoon/ Summer
Monsoon (June, July, August) is the time of rainfall. The atmosphere is more humid in the Annapurna Region. During the evening and night, the weather is usually rainy. If it rains during the daytime, the temperature is quite mild. But the heat during a sunny is quite hot, especially in June. However, nights and mornings at the base camp can get cold due to downpours.
Also, due to the rain, leeches and wild bugs are more active on the trail. Thus, you must pack waterproof gears. Do not forget carrying table salt, for parasites, and anti-bug lotions.
For monsoon trek to ABC, pack these clothing:
- Full sleeve trekking Shirt
- Windproof/ waterproof trekking trousers (long)
- Windstopper Jacket (waterproof)
- Anti-leech Socks
- Down Jacket for cold nights
- A Rain jacket
- A Rain Pant
- Waterproof trekking boots
Annapurna Base Camp trek during Winter (December, January, February) is cold. The weather condition gets even worse during the mid-winter. And you may witness snowstorms and avalanche breakdowns.
The daytime temperature is quite bearable during winter. However, the morning and nighttime are freezing and, the temperature can drop below the freezing point. Thus, you must wear warm clothes in layers to keep your body heat maintained.
Here we have listed some of the must-pack clothing for Annapurna Base Camp trek in winter:
- Warm Shirt and Trousers
- A woollen cap
- A woollen scarf
- Layered clothing
- Lightweight woollen jumper/ sweater
- Down jacket or down vest
- Fleece or wool trousers
- Heavyweight gloves or mittens
- Thermal underwears
Lists of Hygiene and Toiletries for Annapurna Base Camp Trek
Maintaining health and hygiene during the trek is very crucial. Being sick in the trek can ruin your whole experience. Thus, you must keep your health and hygiene. Since Annapurna Base Camp trek takes you to the mountainous region, the environmental circumstances are different from where you belong.
Adapting to a new environment is a challenge for every trekker. Thus, you must take care of your health while adjusting. Therefore, you must carry all the essentials hygiene and toiletries items for the whole trek.
Here is the list of some essential toiletries and hygiene items you don’t want to miss for the Annapurna Base Camp Trek:
- Face and Body Moisturizer
- Lip guard
- Toothpaste and A Toothbrush
- Multipurpose Soap
- Hand sanitiser
- A lightweight Towel
- Toilet Paper
- First aid kit with medicines (for altitude sickness, Diarrhea, sprains, cold)
- Regular medicines
- Nail Clippers
- Sanitary pads (for girls)
Important Travel Documents
Packing essential travel documents is one of the prime tasks before Annapurna Base Camp Trek.
Here is a list of documents that you must carry with you at all times during the trek:
- Your Passport
- Travel Insurance
- Air Tickets
- Passport Sized Photos
- Map and Guide Book
- Money (Nepali currency) and money bag
- The two Permits for Annapurna Base Camp Trek: ACAP and TIMS card.
Electronic and Gadgets to Pack for ABC Trek
- Mobile Phone and Charger
- Camera, Memory Cards and Charger or Batteries
- Tripod Stands
- Headlamp and Extra Batteries
- Power Bank
- Plug Adapter
Backpack for the Annapurna Base Camp Trek
As you will be packing all your trekking gears and equipment in a backpack, you will require a bag that can fit everything. You look for a backpack that is of 30L to 50L size. When you buy it, make sure all your gear mounts and the trekking bag is comfortable to carry and have excellent back support.
Furthermore, if you are trekking in monsoon, you will require a rain cover for the backpack as well. So, check that too.
Footwears for the Annapurna Base Camp Trek
- A pair of good quality and comfortable Hiking Boots (water-resistant)
- A couple of casual Sandals
- Trekking Socks (2 – 3 pairs)
Sleeping Gear for the ABC Trek
The rooms are pretty essential during the Annapurna Base Camp Trek. The teahouse will provide a mattress, a pillow and a blanket. And sometimes the bed can be quite small and uncomfortable. Thus, bringing your sleeping bag, with a liner is highly recommended for any season so that you can have a comfortable sleep.
Extra Gears to Pack for the ABC Trek
- Trekking Poles
- Alarm Clock
- Ear Plug
- Eye Mask
Some Tips on Wise Packaging for Annapurna Base Camp Trek
- Avoid unnecessary items while packing. And hire a porter if your backpack is heavy.
- Carry some energy bars or chocolates in your backpack for eating while on the trail. You can also buy them from the teahouse during the trek.
- Bring a soft and breathable fabric underwears and bras to prevent chafe.
- Keeping your body hydrated during the trek is very important to avoid altitude sickness. Thus, carry your water bottle for the trek. You can easily refill the bottle at teahouse. Buying bottled water on the trail is not recommended as it is quite expensive. Also, do not forget to carry water purifiers.
- The sanitary products for girls are hardly available while on the trek. So, purchase tampons at Pokhara/ Kathmandu if you menstruate. Carry them with you if you need them on the trek.
- Rain Protection gear is essential during monsoon treks to ABC. Wet gear may ruin the trek. So, bring a rain cover for your backpack. You can also purchase plastic sheets to protect your equipment from the rain.
We hope that this blog will give you a basic idea about what to pack for the Annapurna Base camp trek. Along with the packing lists for Annapurna Base Camp, also check on the weather forecast of the region before you start your packing. It will help you decide on what do you need to pack for a comfortable trek.