Annapurna Circuit Trek in May: What to expect?
Is May the best time to trek the Annapurna Circuit? It is, without any doubt. May is one of the peak times of the year to do the Annapurna Circuit Trek. During May, the vegetation in the region is in full blossom. You can witness the hills fully covered with colorful wildflowers and rhododendron blossoms. Thus, It is also known as the season of colors.
Annapurna Circuit Trek in May is a perfect time for trekking. It offers the best weather and temperature conditions, making it favorable for trekking.
As you may already know, Annapurna Circuit Trek is considered one of the best long-distance treks in the world. The Annapurna trail takes you on a magical journey in the Annapurna region that rewards the trekker with breathtaking views of the Annapurna and Dhaulagiri ranges. You can experience a wide variety of landscapes and the unique culture of diverse ethnic communities.
The starting point of the Annapurna Circuit Trek is Besisahar, located in the Marshyangdi River valley, and concludes at Kali Gandaki Gorge. It is a classical trek that usually takes 10 to 28 days to complete depending on the itinerary.
The major highlight of this trek is crossing the mighty Thorong La Pass (5416m), one of the highest mountain passes in the world.
Trekking Annapurna Circuit in May offers clear blue skies with very little chance of rainfall and stable weather conditions. Although late May is considered the beginning of pre-monsoon, Annapurna Circuit is not affected by this. It is located in the rain shadow area of Annapurna and Dhaulagiri Massifs.
Weather and Temperature Condition of Annapurna Circuit during May
May is the last month of spring and the hottest month in Nepal. Even though it is the hottest month, Annapurna Circuit Trek in May offers you the best trekking experience with the best weather and temperature for Annapurna Circuit trekking.
The weather on the Annapurna circuit trail is dry and stable during this time of the year. Days are bright and sunny with clear blue and cloudless skies. The temperature is quite warm during the daytime, with an average temperature of 20 degrees Celsius. But as night approaches, the temperature can get pretty chilly. On average, the temperature at night can get as low as 5 degrees Celsius and even lower during the colder days.
Also, the rain chances are meager in Annapurna Circuit during May. Thus, you can get picture-perfect views of the Himalayas and the surrounding landscapes with clear skies. However, it would help if you were very careful on the trail as it can get very windy during the day.
What are the difficulties for Annapurna Circuit Trek in May?
Taking of the difficulties, the Annapurna Circuit Trek is a moderately difficult trek. And you can never expect good weather while trekking in Nepal. Here are some of the difficulties you may face during the Annapurna Circuit Trek in May:
- In most of the trek, you will be walking in stone steps. So, you must be very careful as it tends to get very slippery after the rain.
- Since May is the hottest time, you may get boiling and sweaty while walking in the lower region.
- Crossing Thorong La Pass (5416m) is the most challenging section of this trek. As it is a high-altitude mountain pass, there is a high chance of getting altitude sickness. Thus, you need to take proper rest and stroll while ascending.
- You won’t have any means of communication on the trek as the region has no access to any communication medium.
- As May is the peak trekking season for Annapurna Circuit Trek, finding accommodation can be a challenge. Thus, pre-booking is recommended.
- Finding pure drinking water on the trail is quite difficult and buying them is very expensive at a higher altitude. Thus, carry your water bottle and water purifying tablets.
- Since the weather during the Annapurna Circuit Trek is unpredictable, you may face some bad weather conditions. So, be prepared for the situation.
Please read our blog on “Annapurna Circuit Trek Difficulty for more info.”
Reasons to Trek Annapurna Circuit in May
1. No need to worry about the rain
As I mentioned earlier, most of the Annapurna Circuit trail falls under the rain shadow area of the Annapurna ranges; you don’t have to worry about the rain even if you are trekking in the Annapurna Circuit during May. Thus, the trail is dry and free of leeches and mosquitoes in May. Also, the weather is dry, with a suitable temperature for trekking.
2. Amazing Weather
The weather of the Annapurna Circuit during May is usually bright and sunny during the daytime. But the night brings in cold and chilly weather. You can get breathtaking views of the Annapurna ranges throughout the trek. Also, the walk is very comfortable during the day as you don’t need to fear the rain.
3. Be a part of better hospitality.
During the Annapurna Circuit Trek in May, you will be accommodated in the local teahouses and lodges. Thus, you can explore and get insights into the culture and lifestyle of different ethnic communities of Nepal like Thakalis and Sherpas. Also, the hospitality they provide is the best.
4. Incredible Landscape View
While trekking the Annapurna Circuit, you will witness picturesque views of the majestic mountain and the surrounding landscapes. Since Annapurna Circuit trails are best known for their natural views, you explore the green barley field, alpine trees, and great geographic scenario of the realistic view of Nepal.
Packing List for Annapurna Circuit Trek in May
1. Important Documents
- Proof of Insurance
- Nepali currencies in cash for tips and to purchase a Valid passport, extra passport-size photos, a Visa, and a ticket
- Photocopy of your passport and viVisarekking permits
2. Other Items
- Trekking socks
- Hiking boots
- Sleeping bags
- Bandana or headscarf
- Trekking T-shirts
- Windproof trousers
- Shell jackets
- Down Jacket
- First Aid kits
- Medicines against fever, diarrhea, headache, cold, etc
- Water purification tablets
- Hand Sanitizers
- Toilet paper
- Quick-drying towels
- Multi-purpose soap
Please read our blog on “Annapurna Circuit Trek Packing list for detailed info.”
Some Tips for Annapurna Circuit Trek in May
- Wear lightweight and comfortable hiking boots as you walk through rocky and rugged trails.
- If you have problems with your back or have a heavy backpack, it is better to hire a porter.
- Always walk at a steady pace and don’t try to rush.
- Drink enough water and always stay hydrated.
- Carry some extra snacks with you. You can have chocolates, energy bars, and other instant energy-providing foods if you feel tired while walking.
- Carry a map of the Annapurna Circuit Trek. It will help you to be on track and ensure your safety.
- Avoid unnecessary items in your luggage.
- Pre-book for accommodation and food.
- If you are trekking in late May, carry the proper rain gear.
- Always carry your important documents like citizenship, photos, passport, and trekking permits. This ensures that you are traveling legally.
May is one of the best times to trek the Annapurna Circuit trek. Annapurna Circuit Trek in May offers a marvelous view of the natural landscape of the Annapurna region.
Finally, please feel free to contact us if you have any further questions or queries regarding this trek or any other treks in Nepal.